What You Need to Know About PhilHealth Coverage for OFWs
The Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth, Inc.) is a government-owned agency that provides affordable and quality healthcare to Filipinos. The scope of PhilHealth’s services includes overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).
For OFWs who wants to know more about PhilHealth membership, here are the answers to some of the frequently asked questions (FAQs):
How do I become a PhilHealth member? If I need to renew my membership, what should I do?
Those who are in the
- Properly accomplished duplicate copies of the PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF);
- Supporting documents for legal dependents to be declared;
- Any proof of being an active OFW and;
- Pay the corresponding premium contribution to any PhilHealth office
Those who are overseas can go to the nearest PhilHealth office and present the following documents:
- Properly accomplished PhilHealth Premium Payment Slip (PPPS);
- Duplicate copies of the PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF) - for initial registration only;
- Any of the following documents: Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate, POEA ECARD/SSS/Company ID, Passport, Any valid ID / document acceptable to the Corporation and;
- Pay the corresponding premium contribution of P1,200.00 (for Year 2012) or its equivalent in the local currency of the host country to any accredited collecting agent
If I want to change my membership to another category, will I be issued a new PhilHealth Identification Number (PIN)?
No, the PhilHealth Identification Number (PIN) remains the same even if one shifts to a new membership category.
Do I always have to update my PhilHealth membership everytime I go abroad to work?
It is not the PhilHealth membership that is being renewed. Rather an OFW need to update the payment for the premiums which will be equivalent to the length (in years) of your new contract. Doing this will ensure your eligibility to avail of PhilHealth benefits.
Can OFW immigrants in the
Yes, they can still be a PhilHealth member but their membership category will be changed from an Overseas Worker Member to Individually Paying Member.
My PhilHealth coverage starts when?
One’s PhilHealth coverage starts upon payment of premium. It is valid for one year from the date of payment.
My Philhealth coverage will expire soon but I am currenyly working abroad and my location is far from any payment centers. How can I update my PhilHealth premiums?
Your family in the
I am paying for OWWA contributions and Philhealth premiums? How are they different?
Payment of Philhealth premiums gives an OFW and his dependent health benefits in case of illness or injury that requires hospitalization. Meanwhile, OWWA contributions is the life insurance of an OFW while working overseas.
How much do I need pay for my PhilHealth premium and where can I pay?
As of this writing, the PhilHealth premiums for OFW members is Php2,400 per year or P1,200 for 6 months. An OFW may pay more than this amount depending on the lenghth of their work contracts. One can pay at the PhilHealth office or at any
Is there a grace period for membership renewal?
PhilHealth members who are OFWs have a grace period of one (1) month after date of expiry. OFWs who pay their premiums within the grace period shall retroactively commence the coverage of membership from date of expiration.
Watch out for the second part of this article which will feature: FAQs on PhilHealth Benefits and Availment