Top Reasons for OFWs to be Proud
Apr 19, 2013
Working overseas and being away from the family is not easy. We regard our dear overseas workers as the heroes of our generation because we all know that they contribute hugely in betterment of the Philippine economy. There are a lot of reasons why they deserve to be called as heroes. Let me tell you some.
- OFWs are brave, and that, is one of the many things they must be proud of. Being away from home is unbearable but because they have the desire to make the lives of their families better, they choose to work in a foreign country where they barely know anybody.
- They take more risks than businessmen do. Going overseas is risky. OFWs sure know how to blend with other cultures but there are times that their effort of doing so fails. In worst cases, they become victims of abuse and other crimes.
- They can always be proud of their hospitality. The empathy Filipinos give is not exclusive only for their countrymen. We want everybody to feel at home. For Filipinos, it has never been enough to help with the suffering of others; we also want to share in their suffering.
- OFWs can show off their impeccable love for human life. It is inherent for Filipinos to value human life. Filipinos are very caring and some overseas job requires them to take care of other people. OFWs can always be proud of the fact that they do not plainly consider their job as a contractual obligation; they regard it as a genuine act of love and kindness towards others.
- They must be proud of the experience of being able to work for other nationalities. OFWs must try hard to show the world that the Philippines is not a country of lawbreakers, liars, and hypocrites. They are given the opportunity to change the way others perceive us to be.
- Lastly, OFWs must be proud because they serve as inspirations. We look up to them not because they keep our economy upbeat. We must also look up to them because they are selfless, hardworking and passionate. Indeed, they deserve so much love and admiration and yes, they are our modern day heroes.