OFWGuide.com is a Filipino website for new OFWs and for Filipinos who want to migrate, find an overseas job or work abroad.
Skills for Employment Scholarship Offered by OWWA
Mar 28, 2014
To improve the skills and qualifications OFW dependents who plans to go abroad as an OFW, the Overseas Worker Welfare Administration offers a training scholarship grant to those who want to learn a shourt course that may be useful to get a job abroad.
Through the Skills for Employment Scholarship Program (SESP), a dependent of an active-OWWA member OFW who wants to enhance his skills and qualifications to be able to land a job overseas may enroll in a Technical-vocational course and attend classes in accredited OWWA training centers.
Who are qualified to avail the scholarship?
1. Child not older than 21 years old or spouse of a married OFW
2. Brother/sister not older than 21 years old of an unmarried OFW
What are the documents needed to be able to avail the scholarship?
1. Accomplished application forms (2 sets)
2. 1″x1″ ID pictures (2 copies)
3. Form 137 / HS Report Card or Transcript of Records/ official copy of grades
4. Proof of OWWA Membership: official receipt of OWWA contribution / OFW E-Card
5. If a Member’s beneficiary: proof of relationship to OWWA member (e.g. copy of marriage contract and/or birth certificate of both OFW and applicant- dependent duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar)
Who will pay for the classes attended?
OWWA will shoulder the financial assistance of the scholar. An enrolled scholar will get Php 14,500 and will be directly paid to the institution where the short course will be attended at. If the tuition is more than the financial assistance, the scholar will shoulder the difference. However, if the tuition is less than the financial assistance provided, the amount difference will be handed to the scholar.
What are the courses offered under the Skills for Employment Scholarship Program (SESP)?
The scholars shall choose from the course offerings based on the critical skills priorities of the region as determined by TESDA, such as;
a. Health and Social Community Services
- Medical Transcription Course
- Caregiver and other related course
b. Machine/Lathe Operator
c. All Technicians/Mechanical/Electrical/Electronics Course
d. Information Technology (IT)
- Software/Computer Programmer
- Computer Operation
- Computer Technician
e. Tourism and Hotel Management
- Food and Beverage Services
- Commercial Cooking
- Baking/Pastry Production
- Animal Production
- Aqua Culture
g. Animation, Graphic Design and related courses
h. Furniture and Carpentry
k. Furniture and Carpentry
k. Any applicable Aviation Course
l. Any applicable Maritime Course