Malaysia Offers Rehiring Program for OFWs, Expats
Mar 21, 2016
The Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur shares in its website the rehiring program offered by Malaysia for all illegal foreign workers, like overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).
The program aims to provide opportunity to illegal foreign workers to be issued with valid work permits, enable the Malaysian Government to determine number of illegal foreign workers for the purposes of monitoring and security, and meet labor demands specifically the request of industries/employers to fill vacancies in permitted sectors.
Aside from requirements, strict conditions were laid which includes (1) must have record of original entry to Malaysia, (2) currently employed, and (3) no criminal record.
Deportation will be sanctioned for those will not qualified while the employers will face actions for not registering illegal workers.
- An OFW will not be eligible for the rehiring program if he meets any of the following:
- Had entered Malaysia via non-gazetted entry point and does not possess any valid travel document
- Had been issued with Visit Pass Temporary Employment (VPTE)
- Had been issued with VPTE or Social Visit Pass (SVP) however travel document had expired
- Had been issued with other immigration pass such as student pass, employment pass, etc.
Implementation period for the rehiring program is from February 15, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
For the complete information, go here.