How to Avail the OWWA Scholarships
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) aims to protect and promote the welfare and well-being of Overseas Filipino Workers. In lieu with this, OWWA offers scholarships, insurance and educational program for OFWs and their dependents. This article would give you an idea of what you need to present to avail of the said programs.
There are five education and training programs offered by OWWA; Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP), Skills-for-Employment Scholarship Program (SESP), Seafarers’ Upgrading Program (SUP), DOLE-OWWA-Tulay Microsoft Project and Tuloy-Aral Project.
Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP)
The Education for Scholarship Program (EDSP) grants a 4 to 5 year baccalaureate course offered by a CHED-accredited college or university. The scholarship is given to qualified beneficiaries/dependents of OWWA member-OFWs. The OWWA gives P30,000 per semester and pay the tuition fee directly to the school. They release the remaining amount after the scholar submits the grades for the semester.
How to qualify for the Scholarship
- Must be a child of a married OWWA member or brother/sister of an unmarried OWWA member
- Must be 21 years old or below
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- Be in good health and with good moral character
- Must have an average grade of at least 80% and belong to the upper 20% of the graduating class
What Are the Requirements
- Accomplished application forms (2 sets)
- 1"x 1" ID pictures (2 copies)
- Proof of relationship to Member (copy of Birth Certificate of applicant and of the Member if related as brother or sister duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar or NSO)
- Form 137 or Transcript of Records with Principal's Certification on Scholastic Standing
- Proof of OWWA membership (i.e. Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution/Certification from
) OWWA Membership Processing Center
- Health Certificate attesting to physical fitness of applicant (Form B)
- Certificate of Good Moral Character issued by the School Principal/Guidance Counselor (Form C)
- Certification that applicant belongs to upper 20% of graduating class issued by school principal (2 sets)
- Statement of applicant that he/she has not earned units in any post-secondary/undergraduate course (Form E)
- Sworn Statement that he/she has no pending application for resident immigrant status in any country and does not have dual citizenship signed by parent or legal guardians (Form F)
To avail of the OWWA scholarship, please bring the requirements mentioned above at the nearest OWWA office. For more information visit the OWWA website at http://www.owwa.gov.ph/
Click the links to know know how to avail other OWWA scholarships:
- All About Placement Fees and Other Required Fees of OFWs
- Urgent Opening in Top Saudi Company: High Salary and No Placement Fee!
- Work and Live in Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) (Part 1 of 2)
- KSA: How to Compute End of Service Benefits
- Beware of These Blacklisted Balikbayan Box Forwarders