Nature of the Job: A boilermaker is a trained craftsman who produces steel fabrications from plates and sections. The name originated from craftsmen who would fabricate boilers, but they may work on projects as diverse as bridges to blast furnaces to the construction of mining equipment.
· Inspecting the condition of boilers and related equipment (including tanks, drums, pressure vessels and sheet metal components)
· Troubleshooting and repairing malfunctions in boiler systems and other heavy sheet metal systems
· Identifying situations that are likely to develop into problems and evaluating whether to repair or replace substandard or malfunctioning equipment and structures.
· Fabricating, assembling and modifying boiler systems and heavy sheet metal components
· Laying out, fitting, and verifying measurements for any sheet metal work of 13 gauge or heavier metal
· Fabricating or assembling parts and components by using welding, riveting, bolting and soldering
· Smoothing irregular edges by filing or grinding in order to make parts fit together
· Perform inspections, maintenance and repairs on locomotive boilers in full compliance with FRA and UP requirements
Education and Training Requirements:
At least Vocational Diploma / Short Course Certificate
At least 5 years of work experience as a boilermaker
Skills and Competency Requirements:
- Skilled in the areas of aluminum, ferrous and non-ferrous(CS, SS), exotics(Alloys), and next generation metals.
- Can work from drawings, follow verbal instructions and be skilled in the use of electric arc welding,
MIGwelding and oxy gas welding.
- Good communication skills
- Minimum two years experience on steam locomotive boiler repairs. Qualified welder under AWS, ASME Section 9, and NBIC appendix 3 codes
Work Conditions: Work will take place both in a shop environment and outside, regardless of weather conditions. Many boilermakers are employed in repairing, repiping, and retubing commercial steam and hot water boilers used for heating and domestic hot water in commercial buildings and multi-family dwellings.
Working Hours: May include work on rest days, holidays and/or weekends.
Employment Opportunities: Boilermakers are currently in-demand in
Professional Organizations: International Brotherhood of Boilermakers