Nature of the Job:
The dockmaster is basically the ambassador of the seaport. The main duty of a dockmaster is to ensure a safe and pleasant trip for all boat passengers. It performs both administrative and supervisory roles such as planning, coordinating, promoting, and managing the daily operations, facilities, and employees of the dock and other waterfront operations/facilities.
- Assist customers in boat launch, with the right equipment, properly fitted PFD’s, and helpful instructional pointers for basic boating
- Provide appropriate assistance to customers, vendors, officials and staff.
- Keep clean equipment and facility. Inspect equipment for damage and safety.
- Open the facility, including but not limited to setting up equipment for daily use and facility maintenance. Complete opening reports
- Close the facility, including but not limited to putting away all equipment, locking doors and setting alarm. Complete closing reports
- Provide support for a variety of special events.
Education and Training Requirements:
- At least Bachelor's / College Degree
- At least 5 to ten years work experience as a dockmaster
Skills and Competency:
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with staff, employees and public
- Knowledge of dock construction and repair
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Basic computer skills
- Must be able to swim
A dockmaster works at a boatyard or at a marine maintenance facility.