Nature of the Job:
Pipefitters/steamfitters are lay out, assemble, fabricate, maintain and repair both high and low pressure piping systems used in manufacturing, generating electricity and maintaining the heater and cooler systems of buildings.
- Install and maintain the piping system.
- Study the blueprints to determine the types of pipes and tools to be used in construction.
- Cut pipes using power tools or machines.
- Create in depth sketch of pipe and equipment fabrication and installation if needed
- Measuring, cutting, threading, grooving, bending, soldering, assembling and installing metal, plastic and fiberglass pipes, valves and fittings
- Welding, brazing, cementing, soldering and threading joints to join pipes and fabricate sections of piping systems
Education and Training Requirements:
- High school diploma
- Vocational course certificate such as drafting, blueprint reading or welding