Sheet metal workers design, build, install and repair heating and air-conditioning panels and other parts of the building which is made from sheet metal products. They may work for a new home building and renovation, heavy industrial, institutional and commercial, and civil engineering.
Duties of sheet metal workers vary according to his expertise like on-site installation or shop manufacture of sheet metal products, or in servicing and maintenance of installed equipment and systems.
- Lay out, measure and mark patterns of the sheet metal
- Decide with the size and type of the sheet metal to be installed in heating and air-conditioning ducts.
- Responsible in building and installing eaves troughs, air and heat ducts, roof decking, siding, stainless steel kitchen equipment, gutters, light metal partitions and sheet metal buildings.
- Bolting, welding, soldering, or riveting sheet metal parts.
- Polished rough edges and joints with a file or grindstone.
- Cut, bend or straighten sheet metal using power generated equipment
- Read and interpret construction sketches and other project specifications.
Education and Training Requirements:
- High school diploma or college degree
- Certificate in Vocational Program
- With at least 2 years of experience (5 years for aircraft sheet metal mechanic)
- License and rating authority (for Aircraft Sheet Metal Mechanic)
Skills and Competency Requirements:
- Can read the sketches of the construction project to determine the position and sizes of the sheet metal to be installed.
- Can operate light metal equipments use in cutting, bending, shaping or straightening sheet metal.
- Can operate laser or plasma equipment for cutting sheet metal
- Ability to solve problems
- Can work with a minimal supervision.
Sheet metal worker works either indoors or outdoors, on construction sites or in a shop. They maybe employed in:
- Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning Construction firms
- Primary Steel producers
- Metal producers
- Exterior Construction firms
- Stamping press and Coated Metal Products companies
- Construction trades
- Aircraft and Parts manufacturer
- Building Construction firms
Sometimes he may work with other construction professionals. Since the job needs to lift some heavy materials and equipment, it is necessary to be physically fit.
Sheet metal workers needs to complete 8 hours of work every week. During peak seasons, they may be required to work overtime to meet the deadline.
Sheet metal workers with considerable experience, trainings and skills may move towards senior positions such as supervisor or service manager.