Nature of the Job:
Roofer works in installation, repair and replacement of roofs during construction of new and renovation of home and commercial construction. They also perform water and weather proofing as well as installing and repairing slate, tiles, shingles and resurfacing roofs.
The task of the roofer includes the following:
- Set up and maintenance of manual and power tools
- Check roofs and roof surfaces
- Install, repair and replace roofs; with the use of asphalt and gravel; shingles and other roofing tiles.
- Apply waterproofing to the roofs surfaces
- Inform the employer and co-worker about the condition of the roof using sketches and diagrams
- Install scaffolding to access roofs safely
- Estimate required materials and its costs
- Knowledge on various materials and regulations of its use.
Education and Training Requirements:
- At least Vocational Diploma/Short Course
Skills and Competency Requirements:
- Knowledge in application of various types of roof waterproofing systems
- Can have good working relationship with co-workers
- Can work under deadlines
- Good physical condition
Roofers maybe self-employed or be employed in roofing and general construction or repair jobs. Since the work is seasonal, one must expect unemployment at some point. However, some repair jobs are available even if the demand for new construction is low. The roof system needs replacement after 15 to 20 years or depending on the system used.
Roofers need physical stamina since they have to lift heavy materials. The work requires staying in outdoors and working with other construction crew. Roofer maybe employed in:
- residential building developers
- building construction firms
- construction contractors
- roofing contractors
- independent contractor
The standard workweek for roofers is 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. During peak seasons, they are required to work overtime to meet the deadline.
Roofers with considerable experience and knowledge may advance to supervisory position or may become contractors. He may also shift to other construction occupations such as carpenter or sheet metal worker.