Nature of Job:
Chefs are responsible in food preparation as well as the cooking activities both meals and specialty food.
- Plan menus and direct food preparation and cooking activities;
- Make sure that food to be served met quality standards;
- Calculate the food to be served and labor cost;
- Supervise activities of cooks and other kitchen crew;
- Exhibition of new cooking technique;
- Give instruction in the preparation, cooking and garnishing of food;
- Monitor the needs in terms of foods and kitchen supplies.
Education and Training Requirements:
Although there in no required education for Chefs, most employers prefer applicants who are high school graduates with knowledge in commercial food preparation. While for those who opt to establish a career as chef it is good for you to invest a culinary degree.
Skills and Competency Requirements:
- Management of material and personnel resources;
- Ability to give instruction;
- Planning and implementation ;
- Oral comprehension;
- Number facility.
8 hours of work with overtime pay
Chef can go as far as Sous-Chef and Executive Chef or even supervisor or manager in hotels, clubs and restaurants if they have complete training, work experience and are able to handle more responsibility and sophisticated assignments. There are also some who open a business such as restaurants, catering services while some enters into teaching in culinary schools.
Chefs are in demand in growing countries for their newly established hotels and restaurants, as well as in luxury cruise. The need for chefs also varies in the increase in population, household income, and leisure time since they will have ample time to eat out and spend vacation time and again.