Nature of the Job:
The job of the mechanical engineer deals with a project that is engaged in machinery, tools, and mechanical processes. They plan, control and use all kinds of machines and machine tools. They also design and create engines that produce power from steam, gasoline and other sources which they try to develop to increase the sources of power.
A mechanical engineer has many specialties to choose from. Below are just some the field they can specialize into;
Automotive design and manufacturing, Materials, Plant engineering and maintenance, Refrigeration, Industrial equipment, Heating, Agriculture, Sales Management, Education, Nanotechnology, Aerospace, Medical equipment
Mechanical engineers perform a variety of tasks and some of them are the following:
- Design products and systems to meet process requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles;
- Specify system components or directs modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specification;
- Oversee installation to ensure machines and equipment are installed and functioning according to specification;
- Coordinate building fabrication, and installation of product design and operation, maintenance, and repair activities to utilize machines and equipment;
- Inspect, evaluate, and arrange field installation and recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions;
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties, diagnose faulty operation and make recommendation to maintenance crew;
- Alter or modify design to obtain specified functional and operational performance;
- Conduct experiments to test and analyze existing design and equipment to obtain data on performance of product, and prepare reports;
- Assist drafter in developing structural design of product, using drafting tools or computer-assisted design/drafting equipment and software;
- Test ability of machines to perform tasks;
- Select or design tools to meet specification, using manuals, drafting tools, computer and specialized software programs;
- Develop models of alternate processing methods to test feasibility or new applications of system components, and recommend implementation of procedures;
- Confer with establishment personnel and engineers to implement operating procedures and resolve system malfunction, and to provide technical information;
- Plan and direct engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment and develop procedures for testing products;
Education and Training Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with focus not only on mechanics and design, but on communication, sales, fine arts, computer science, and general business management
- With Professional license
- At least 5 to 10 years of work experience in warehouse/industrial construction projects
- Experience in designing of HVAC, Chillers, firefighting, plumbing, sanitary, irrigation, sprinkler and energy/building management (intelligent buildings system for residential, commercial, high rise buildings.)
Skills and Competency Requirements:
- Full command of software, including Autocad,MS Office, (ASHRAE,NFPA) and any other relevant programs.
- Experience in supervising projects at site and coordination between different activities
- Experience in preparation of working drawings, technical specifications, bill of quantities tender documentation and knowledge of codes, standards and procedures
- Possess leadership[p and analytical skills
- Both an independent and a team worker
- Good in communication skills.
Mechanical engineers work in workshops, factories and offices, and on building sites. They may have to travel between sites or supervise projects overseas. If they are working away from the office, conditions may vary and they may have to work around heavy machinery or at heights
Mechanical engineers usually work regular hours, but may have to work longer hours to meet project deadlines.
A Mechanical Engineer who has undergone apprenticeship training through different activates in a power company, have the opportunity to assume a supervisory or managerial position. Those who don't have the inclination to be managers follow a parallel career by becoming experts or specialists in the long run.
Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines. Mechanical Engineers may work in production operations in manufacturing or agriculture, maintenance, or technical sales; others may also work as administrators or managers.
Because mechanical engineers enjoy a wide range of available specialties, opportunity exists in many different types of companies. This includes healthcare, manufacturers, academics, and consumer based business. Examples of companies that hire mechanical engineers include: Dell, Black & Decker, Goodrich Aerospace, Chrysler Corporation, General Electric, and Westinghouse.