Nature of Job:
Civil Engineers have several specializations, including structural, transportation, environmental, maritime and geotechnical. Structural includes construction of dams, buildings, offshore platforms and pipelines. Transportation includes the construction of roads, railways, canals and airports. Environmental are erection of water supply networks, drainage and flood barriers. Maritime are inclined to work in ports, harbors and sea defenses. Geotechnical are assigned to work in mining, earthworks and construction foundations.
Civil Engineers are assigned to do the following task:
- Discuss the designs structures with the client, together with other person who are concern in the construction of the project
- Manage the construction of the project and ensure the safety and functionalities of the structure.
- Check and repair of the existing structures, retrofit and strengthen the same;
- Organize and direct maintenance for the repair of the existing structure
- Study the materials and discuss the technological aspects of each materials
- Keep an open communication and consultancy with other relevant specialist;
- Monitor the progress of the project and ensure that the construction conforms to the design and safety or sanitation standards.
Education and Training Requirements:
Must earn a degree in Civil Engineer and must hold a license to be able to practice the profession.
Skills and Competency Requirements:
Civil Engineers must possess the following skills to stand out:
- Possess knowledge in building construction, cost control, planning, PERT-CPM scheduling, and safety operating procedures;
- Capable to implement the project, from presentation of plans to materials selection and costing, procurement, manpower scheduling up to project construction;
- Possess knowledge in building maintenance including masonry, carpentry, painting, plumbing and electrical works;
- Possess knowledge in business management which involves strategic planning, resource allocation, production methods, and coordination and supervision of people;
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
Roads and railways
Drainage and flood barriers
Harbors and sea defenses
Offshore platforms and pipelines
Civil Engineers work 8 hours a day but sometimes it extends depends on the call of their duty.
Civil Engineers career advancement means bigger responsibilities. He may advance to supervisory position with total responsibility as Project Engineer, he will take charge of directing construction, operations, and maintenance activities at project site.
They will also have a chance to further their career when they are engage with a consultancy services since they are inclined with technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modification and structural repairs to industrial and managerial personnel. They can also serve as researcher to identify some engineering problems and assessment of the possible impact of projects.
Civil Engineers are currently in-demand in the
Civil Engineering Technician