Nature of Job:
Bosun, also called as boatswain, is an unlicensed member of the deck department and his duty is to supervise unlicensed deck crew of the merchant ship. The bosun is also task to do the planning, scheduling and assigning of work in the ship. His duties also depend on the type of ship, crewing and other aspect.
- Plans the daily work schedule and give task to the deck crew. Check the work if it complies with the approved operating procedures.
- Regular check up of the vessel and maintain areas of the ship; cleaning and painting; that are not maintained by the engineering department.
- Maintain the hull of the vessel and execute a formal preventive maintenance program.
- Operates basic function of the windlass which includes letting go and heaving up an anchor.
- Lead firefighter and other emergency measures encountered by the ship.
- Responsible for the ship's anchors, cordage, colors, deck crew and the ship's boats while on board.
- Rig the ship while in dock.
Skills and Competency Requirements:
- Well versed in marlinespike seamanship
- Has wide knowledge in the use of knots, hitches, bends, whipping, and splices for anchoring the vessel.
8 hours, 7 days a week