Nature of the Job:
The Data Entry Clerk is responsible for inputting and updating the database system of the company. It also includes encoding hard-copy records to computer database and keeps the company records updated.
The basic tasks of data entry clerk includes the following but are not limited to:
- Encode personal details of the customer (for banks)
- Enters classified ads in a newspaper
- Keep the patient’s medical records updated (for hospitals)
- Process the sales invoices.
- Track the test results of students (for schools)
Education and Training Requirements:
- At least Bachelor’s/College Degree
- At least 2 years working experience
Skills and Competency Requirements:
- Excellent computer skills including Excel, Word, Power Point applications
- Typing speed not below 30 words per minute
- Basic knowledge in spreadsheets and databases
- Excellent skills in dealing with customers
- Can work under pressure and result oriented
Data entry clerk is usually an office work and you will be working in front of a computer for long periods.
The standard workweek for a data entry clerk is 8 hours daily. There are companies that offer flexible patterns.
More and more companies are hiring data entry clerks due to the transformation of storing and retrieving information into a more advance technology with the aid of computer.
Considerable experience as data entry clerk may advance as a supervisor or team leader. You may also shift in administrative, sales and payroll departments.